Saltus Grammar School is a high achieving, co-educational day school educating students between the ages of 4 and 18. The school is a leading independent school in Bermuda and enjoys an excellent reputation in the local and international community. The school has a Primary Department, which embraces the Foundation Year, the Lower Primary and the Upper Primary years, and the Secondary Department, which includes the Saltus Graduate Years. The school’s international curriculum blends the best of both UK and North American traditions. In addition to academic excellence, particular emphasis is placed on the all-round development of students, and sport, music, and drama are key aspects of school life.
About Bermuda (Source: brittanica.com)
Bermuda is a self-governing British overseas territory in the western North Atlantic Ocean. It is an archipelago of 7 main islands and about 170 additional (named) islets and rocks, situated about 1,050 km east of Cape Hatteras (North Carolina). English is the official language, but some Portuguese is also spoken.
The archipelago is about 40 km long and averages less than 1.6 km in width. The main islands are clustered together in the shape of a fishhook and are connected by bridges. The largest island is Main Island, 22.5 km long and 1.6 km wide. The Peak, at 79 metres on Main Island, is the highest point. The capital is Hamilton.
The climate is mild, humid, and equable. August is the warmest month, with an average daytime high of 30 °C, and February is the coldest month, with an average nighttime low of 14 °C. The vegetation is subtropical and includes flowering shrubs such as bougainvillea, Easter lilies, oleander, hibiscus, and poinsettia. Palm, pine, casuarina, and mangrove trees are found on most of the islands.
Tourism and international financial services account for the major share of the GNP and employ virtually all the workforce directly or indirectly. Some half million tourists visit Bermuda each year. The island is famous for its pink sand beaches, which get their colour from one of the sand’s main components, pulverized coral, and shells.
Saltus Grammar School is seeking a Director of Advancement to join the leadership team and will report to the Head of School. The Director of Advancement will provide vision, leadership, and management for all aspects of fundraising and constituent management. In addition, he/she will be responsible for building processes, procedures, and policies needed within the Advancement department.
- Leading and developing the Advancement department.
- Overseeing the daily operations of the Advancement department.
- Together with the Deputy head ensure a robust alumni relations program
- Fundraising and constituent management.
- Process and policy development and re-engineering.
- Developing and implementing the strategic plan and initiatives for the Advancement office.
- Overseeing the strategy and execution of all Annual Giving programs at Saltus.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive stewardship plan and events for all major gift donors including leading Annual Appeal donors and Advancement volunteers.
- Development and implementation of comprehensive campaign strategies, timelines, and budgets based on the strategic vision of the school.
- Working with the Directors of Communication to develop and oversee fundraising related to communications to ensure the case for support is articulated effectively both internally and externally through various communications opportunities.
- Overseeing the stewardship of all donors including but not limited to manual donor financial reports and annual general reporting.
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and providing stewardship for his/her own major gift and eventually planned gift prospects.
- Identify, train and support Advancement volunteers to help with fundraising as needed.
- Acting as staff liaison for the Advancement Committee of the Board and the Foundation Board.
- Working closely with Finance and Enrolment Management Department on all items related to the Foundation and the financial aid/scholarship program.
- Working with key stakeholders both internally and externally to articulate the unique value proposition of Saltus.
- Other duties, as required.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor Degree.
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in a similar role.
- Previous experience in a leadership role.
- Experience leading and managing staff.
- Knowledge of and/or experience working in an independent school environment preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Tactful and diplomatic.
- Experience in fundraising with a proven track record in closing major gifts.
- Experience in effective stewardship and dealing with high net worth individuals.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Highly organized and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to manage projects from inception to execution while managing competing priorities.
- Sense of humor and calm demeanor.
- Clean criminal record.
For more information, or to apply in confidence please contact:
Gérard Consulting – Fundraising Talent Management
Phil Gérard, President
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.