BC Children’s Hospital is one of the most recognized and highly regarded institutions in the province and has been rated the top brand in BC through research conducted by Insights West.
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) serves to support the tremendous efforts of the Hospital – its amazing medical care and outstanding research.
Our vision is ambitious: Every child is healthy and able to fulfill their hopes and dreams. Our mission: Be a catalyst for transformative child health through excellence in philanthropy, collaboration and advocacy. The Foundation is looking for people who share our passion to better the lives of children and their families and join us in our quest and successfully advance our vision and mission.
ABOUT THE ROLE
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) is seeking an energetic Event Coordinator to join the Chinese Community Team. Reporting to and working closely with the Event Manager, the Event Coordinator is responsible for planning and executing the logistics and production of BCCHF’s For Children We Care Gala.
Please note that the ability to speak Cantonese fluently, as well as read and write Chinese, is considered a strong asset for this role.
More specifically, the Event Coordinator will:
- Lead the coordination of event logistics, which may include securing and negotiating services with vendors, managing event budgets, creating schedules and critical paths, tracking event attendees and participation.
- Manage event auction and raffle programs including securing prizes, writing prize descriptions, creating promotional elements, and ensuring appropriate follow-up post event.
- Collaborate with internal fundraising teams to create events strategies that align with their fundraising goals and the needs of the Chinese Community.
- Contribute to and execute on strategy designed to grow our fundraising efforts and increase engagement with the Chinese community.
- Support the Event Manager with volunteer management, which includes attending volunteer committee meetings, supporting volunteers so they are able to successfully perform their role, and recruiting and training day-of event volunteers.
- Support the Event Assistant in managing vendors, site setup/planning, volunteers, and in-kind sponsors.
- With the Event Manager, manage the production of the For Children We Care Gala, which includes developing a detailed day of event schedule, being the key contact for external vendors, and ensuring the program runs smoothly.
- Build and maintain mutually rewarding relationships with our committees, sponsors, donors, vendors, and volunteers.
- Work with Marketing & Communications to develop marketing and communication strategies for the event to increase exposure and drive Chinese Community participation; this includes creating digital and social media strategies, as well as creating event collateral such as event programs.
We are looking for a professional, flexible, and dynamic individual who demonstrates a high level of motivation and has the ability to balance diverse workloads. You ideally possess an understanding of event logistics, fundraising principles, marketing and communications and/or have experience working with a wide variety of stakeholders such as volunteers, donors, and corporate sponsors. This knowledge is complemented by your proven ability to build strong internal and external relationships, and work collaboratively at all levels. You have solid organizational and communication skills and attention to detail. You are analytical, methodical, results-oriented, and innovative.
In addition, you have:
- A university degree or diploma in marketing, events, business administration or related fields.
- Minimum 3 years related experience in special events planning, ideally working with a volunteer event organizing committee.
- Ability to speak Cantonese fluently – and ideally Mandarin – as well as read/write/and type Chinese is consider a strong asset.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint).
- Experience in using database; Raiser’s Edge 7 is an asset.
- Experience in English-Chinese translation is an asset.
- Experience in a not-for-profit environment is an asset.
- Sponsorship experience (acquisition and fulfillment) is an asset.
The successful candidate must be flexible with work schedule to accommodate committee meetings and events (occasionally held on evenings and/or weekends) and must have a valid BC driver’s license and a means of reliable transportation to get to and from meetings and event venues.
HOW TO APPLY
BCCHF’s employees have helped to create a work environment in which there is laughter, passion, and pride. It is a place where people are respected, appreciated and recognized for their individual and team efforts. We see our employees as our most valuable resource, and we work hard to ensure that employees continue to work in a collaborative and positive environment. As a result, we are proud to state that we have been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for eight years in a row!
In addition to a nine-day fortnight and a commitment to professional development, we offer a dynamic team environment and a comprehensive compensation package including benefits.
Does this sound exciting? Come join our team and help make miracles happen!
Apply online at www.bcchf.ca/careers by July 8, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please mention that you saw this career opportunity on Phil’s Careers Blog!