St. Margaret’s School (SMS) is an all-girls, independent day and boarding school located in the city of Victoria, on the scenic west coast of British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1908, SMS is an international centre for girls’ learning and leadership development, providing empowering education for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 (Boarding: Grades 7–12).
SMS values diversity and inspires excellence of mind and strength of spirit. Students here are challenged to take responsibility for their own learning experience; to develop individual worth, academic excellence, personal wellness, and a connection with nature; and to provide service to their local and global community.
Campus and Location
Our picturesque, modern campus is located at the intersection of urban and rural areas, which offers numerous advantages: our 22-acre property boasts access to extensive recreational sites and trails, while located less than 20 minutes from the city’s vibrant downtown core. Our superior facilities include a LEED-certified building (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), modern residence houses, culinary arts room, and athletics centre. Other special places on campus include a greenhouse, dance studio, outdoor classroom, tennis courts, and our very own slice of west coast forest.
The capital city of British Columbia, Victoria is best known as Canada’s most beautiful and temperate city. Greater Victoria’s culturally-varied population totals 360,000 people. The city boasts a vibrant arts scene including world-class museums, galleries, and performing arts institutions including dance, music, opera and theatre. SMS makes use of its unique environmental and nearby wilderness for our outdoor education program, and other field trips.
The Director of Admissions directs the development and execution of the School’s overall student recruitment initiatives and oversees the admissions process from point of inquiry through enrolment. The Director plays a key role in building relationships with agents and families of current and prospective students that will lead to satisfaction and success in their daughters’ SMS experience.
The Director of Admissions oversees the strategic direction of Admissions to support the school’s overall vision of St. Margaret’s as a world-class residential and day school for girls; where committed, high calibre staff, a beautiful campus, and an innovative, integrated curriculum create a nurturing environment that challenges students to achieve their leadership potential. Other duties will be assigned as necessary.
Reports to: Head of School.
- Recruit and enroll qualified students to meet the school’s enrollment targets
- Collaborate with the senior management team to develop achievable enrollment and geographic mix targets
- Welcome students and their families to their new life within the close-knit SMS community
- Working collaboratively with the senior management team, continually review and adjust the schools branding to ensure consistency with the product delivered
- Work collaboratively with the marketing and advancement departments to develop promotional material and to create events which will increase interest and inquiries in the school
- Together with the senior management team, develop and implement strategies to improve retention across all grades
- Research and identify new markets. Lead new market development
- Continually review and improve the admissions policies and procedures to ensure the process is as efficient and user friendly as possible for all our prospective clients
- Develop and lead the recruitment process including preparation, travel fairs, events, information sessions and one-on-one meetings
- Represent St. Margaret’s School at special events and recruitment opportunities involving prospective students
- Assist in the scholarship and financial aid process
- Lead and manage the assessment activities including review of applications, interviewing and entrance examinations for all new students
- Communicate key messages to the St. Margaret’s brand advantage
- Cultivate new and existing relationships with agents from around the world
- Develop and manage the Admissions budget, ensuring cost-effective use of all resources dedicated to the admissions function
- Continue to nurture the strong teamwork ethic and client service approach to successfully deliver admissions services on behalf of the school
- Direct the Admissions team and external agency representatives as appropriate in executing all admissions activities (recruiting activities, training staff, expenditures, research and statistics)
- Track and report all admissions and re-enrollment metrics to the Head of School and Board of Governors as requested
- A university degree preferably in Business or Marketing or demonstrated experience in Recruitment, Admissions and Marketing
- Senior management experience in an admissions-related leadership role, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A proven record of professional achievement in an admissions capacity, preferably within an independent, international education environment
- Highly motivated and passionate about the school and what it has to offer
- Energy, vision, creativity and team building skills
- An understanding of independent school culture
- Highly organized with ability to consistently multi-task
- Strong goal and results orientation
- Ability to maintain a high level of integrity and professionalism
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional and persuasive written, oral and presentation skills, with a strong customer focus
- Ability to collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Knowledge of international business practices as they relate to the competitive independent school market
- Hours of work vary considerably and may exceed 40 hours/week
- Work schedule includes evening and weekend activities/duties
- School representation at a variety of community functions
- High stress, fast-paced environment
- Flexibility and high tolerance for ambiguity is required
- Extensive international travel required (approximately 80 days per year)
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.