Reporting to the Board of the Looking Glass Foundation (“LGF”), the Executive Director is responsible for the management and financial success of the LGF. He or she will be chiefly responsible for leadership, fundraising, and the financial, operational, and HR management necessary to execute the strategic objectives set by the Board of Directors (“the Board”) in support of the LGF’s mission and vision.
- Serve as a public advocate for the LGF with educated enthusiasm, tailoring messages to a variety of audiences and mediums in the media.
- Continually communicate and collaborate with the Board Chair to maintain a strong working relationship.
- Lead operational objectives in accordance to the Strategic Plan and policies as set collaboratively by the Board and the Executive Director
- Report on accountable Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to the Board on a quarterly basis.
- Develop a leadership and performance framework to develop and assess employees and foster a committed, accountable, and passionate culture.
- Develop a strategic plan for fundraising for LGF.
- Design and implement a sustainable development program for LGF including an annual giving, major gifts and planned giving program.
- Support growth of annual gala to achieve year-over-year increases in net-fundraising starting in 2019, as this is currently the primary fundraising channel for LGF.
- Implement and develop additional fundraising channels designed to support cashflow requirements throughout the year.
- Act as a steward to key donors, proactively engaging them and creating tailored requests to expedite their annual giving cycles.
- Grow and activate relationships with existing and potential corporate and foundation donors.
- Prepare proposals to various agencies, donors, and government branches as needed.
Financial & Operational Management:
- Collaborate with the Board to refine the Foundation’s strategic plan on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborate with the Board to develop capital and operational plans designed to execute the strategic plan and ensure these two plans account for revenue targets and expenses.
- Develop the annual operating budget and present to the Board for approval.
- Develop measurable KPIs based off the financial and operational plans to be reported to The Board on a quarterly basis.
- Implement and maintain the financial and operational plans, continually reporting on progress and work as a team to proactively detect and overcome challenges.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all LGF programs, services, and special projects. Ensure ongoing alignment to respective operational and financial plans.
- Ensure bookkeeping and accounting procedures are in compliance with all legislation by reviewing on an annual basis and modifying as necessary.
- Monitor accounts payable and monthly cash flow according to the approved budget
- Review quarterly financial statements and circulate to Board as required.
- Working with accountant, monitor CRA government filing requirements.
- Monitor and approve all grant applications and approval letters in compliance with set policies and procedures.
Internal and External Communications:
- Strategically establish working relationships and partnerships with funders, donors, media, influencers, community groups, all levels of government, and agencies to help achieve LGF’s goals.
- Support effective and measurable marketing and promotion of LGF.
- Ensure LGF’s presence and engagement on social media grows substantially over time
- Maintain regular communication with stakeholders and the Board to keep them informed to the work of LGF.
- Maintain high visibility in local and national community, acting as the public face of LGF and ensuring your actions reflect LGF values.
- Ensure volunteers and all employees feel heard and involved, utilizing various modalities of communication to achieve a cohesive understanding amongst this large group.
- Lead the development and implementation of HR planning including: performance management, employee development, recruitment, and compensation. Ensure all HR plans align with operational and financial plans and demands.
- Ensure the Board are not engaging in responsibilities that, going forward, should be included under employee’s responsibilities. Work with the Board Chair and Board to distinguish board governance and responsibilities from employee responsibilities.
- In combination with external compensation reviews, ensure performance management is methodically designed to influence compensation potential when appropriate.
- Ensure HR contracts, policies, procedures, and activities comply with the BC Employment Standards Act, WorksafeBC, BC Human Rights Code, and all other relevant legislation.
- Meet with individual employees regularly to discuss their position expectations, objectives, and ongoing performance. Ensure all employees are fully aware of any performance inadequacies and implement performance improvement measures when necessary.
- Ensure costs for all contracted professionals and agencies are accounted for in budget and perform cost-benefit analysis in decision-making process when considering third party contractors.
- Ensure the volunteer program continually attracts and retrains volunteers and that volunteers remain aware of their priceless impact to those who LGF serves. For many, a LGF volunteer is their only engagement with LGF.
- A genuine and strong desire to ensure that individuals suffering with the mental illness of an Eating Disorder receive prompt and effective intervention.
- A belief that LGF, in efforts with external partners, will ultimately diminish or eradicate the prevalence of Eating Disorders in our population and an awareness of key challenges in reaching this objective.
- Five to seven years of successful experience in major and/or planned gift fundraising.
- Five to seven years of experience in not-for-profit or business sector.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills which engage, motivate and leverage stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Experience developing and executing strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities (staff and volunteers).
- Experience with public relations/media is highly desirable.
- Record of operating within strict degrees of confidentiality
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Successful experience in developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Experience in fundraising with a proven track record.
- Highly computer-literate with advanced skills in Excel and Word.
- Experience with Raisers Edge or similar CRM an asset.
- Available to work occasional weekend and evening hours.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide a very competitive compensation and benefits package.
For more information, or to apply in confidence please contact:
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.