In the place where innovative education, cutting-edge research and community outreach intersect, you’ll find Simon Fraser University. Our vision? To be Canada’s leading engaged university. Born in 1965, SFU has become Canada’s leading comprehensive university with vibrant campuses in British Columbia’s largest municipalities — Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey — and deep roots in partner communities throughout the province and around the world.
ABOUT THE BEEDIE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
Since the creation of Canada’s first Executive MBA in 1968, the Beedie School of Business has championed lifelong learning, productive change and the need to be innovative as we deliver research and teaching that makes an impact in our communities and around the world. We are double accredited by AACSB and EQUIS – less than 1% of business schools worldwide have earned both of these accreditations. Supported by extensive partnerships with public, private and not-for-profit organizations, our goal is to develop innovative and socially responsible business leaders with a global perspective through education, inspired by research and grounded in practice. Operating on all three SFU campuses, we have over 3,800 undergraduate students, 700 graduate students and a long history of non-credit programs. To deliver on our vision and strategy, and to live by our values, we recruit, support and develop faculty, staff, students, alumni, and partners who are passionately committed to:
- Making the Beedie School of Business an outstanding business school and an attractive workplace.
- Developing individuals, organizations, and communities through experiential, innovative and transformative learning opportunities.
- Embracing world-class thought leadership and teaching to benefit society.
- Celebrating and encouraging diversity and active engagement with our local, global and Indigenous communities.
- Leveraging our presence in Vancouver and on Canada’s West Coast with deep respect for its multi-cultural character and the natural environment.
The Associate Director, Alumni Engagement, reports to the Director, Advancement and works closely with the Assistant Dean, External Relations and the Director, Alumni Relations to plan and develop strategies to expand and strengthen both Beedie School specific and university-wide opportunities for alumni engagement. The incumbent builds strong relationships within the faculty (faculty and staff, programs, Career Management Centre, and Research Centres) and campus partners (central advancement and alumni, faculties, staff, students, alumni, etc.) to explore, encourage, and promote opportunities to expand alumni engagement. Provides expert advice to faculty partners and makes recommendations to improve alumni engagement such as communications strategies, program options, and performance tracking systems. Provides recommendations for, and evaluates, alumni engagement partnerships, programs, events, and initiatives, and provides advice on changes and improvements. Identifies and leverages opportunities to involve and recognize alumni volunteers, and provides guidance and mentors staff, campus partners and volunteers with planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating strategies to incorporate and raise the profile of alumni and alumni programs locally, nationally, and internationally.
Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Business Administration, or Education and five years of related experience, including experience in planning, program management, community engagement events/activities management, volunteer management, marketing and communications, and public relations, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Good knowledge of University policies and procedures, and Freedom of Information/Protection of Privacy Act regulations.
- Excellent knowledge of effective volunteer engagement and management principles and practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and leadership skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills with the ability to influence key stakeholders through effective presentations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Event planning experience
- Strong analytical reasoning, problem-solving, and organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent budget management and financial administration skills with the ability to generate revenue.
- Excellent ability to guide and mentor others, and work collaboratively and effectively with corporate partners, senior level volunteers, university administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni.
For more information, to receive the full position prospectus, or to apply in confidence please contact:
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.