With a mission of “Inspiring Creativity. For Good,” Arts Umbrella is a not-for-profit arts education centre for children and youth ages 2 to 19. We foster the creativity of young people by providing innovative and quality visual and performing arts programs that inspire creativity, spirit, and passion. Delivering both tuition-based and free outreach programs, we touch the lives of 21,000 children a year!
For 35 years, Arts Umbrella has been offering a lively, positive, and supportive work environment and an opportunity to make a difference. We are passionate about the arts and believe that through arts education we can positively impact our community and our world. Arts Umbrella is an organization with a heart, where self-expression and creativity are valued and nurtured.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Development and Building Campaign, the Director of Development will play a pivotal role providing operational leadership and oversight to Arts Umbrella’s annual fundraising efforts. In addition, the Director of Development will work closely with Arts Umbrella leadership including staff and volunteers to grow individual giving with a focus on alumni and parents.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Lead and manage Arts Umbrella’s overall development efforts to grow annual fundraising from $1.9 million in FY2017 to $2.8 million by the end of FY2020.
- Provide strong and effective leadership to annual giving and major gifts staff (excluding the capital campaign) including establishing and regularly reviewing performance objectives.
- Train and lead other staff to support annual fundraising and marketing efforts.
- Oversight for managing the annual budget, with a specific focus on annual revenue targets.
- Coordinate annual fundraising plans with the overall Building Campaign plan.
- Work with the Senior Director, Development and Building Campaign, and key Arts Umbrella staff to research, develop and execute parent and alumni giving and engagement programs.
- Work with the Senior Director, Development and Building Campaign and Marketing Manager to ensure alignment of external messaging with fund development strategies.
- Design a holistic and integrated donor and volunteer stewardship program.
- Work with the Revenue Development Committee of the Board to execute and monitor progress against annual fundraising goals and the approved 2018-2020 Fund Development Strategy and Plan.
- Support the President & CEO, and Board of Directors in their fundraising activities as it relates to annual fundraising.
- Collaborate effectively with AU faculty, administration, and staff to maximize results.
- Foster an environment which encourages creativity, innovation, and continuous learning and improvement.
Here’s what you bring:
- University degree and/or equivalent relevant experience; CFRE designation an asset.
- Minimum 5 years fundraising experience in all areas of development – major and annual giving, and special events – with demonstrated success. Experience in alumni and parent giving is an asset.
- Experience in working with volunteer leaders and managing volunteer committees.
- Minimum of three years’ experience managing employee performance and professional development.
- Excellent user of office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint) and donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- Experience in developing, implementing, and monitoring strategic fundraising plans.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Team fit is very important in this close-knit organization, so we are looking for someone who builds strong relations, and is passionate and driven. We take pride in the diverse mix of personalities that makes Arts Umbrella the quality organization it is today. As a caring organization, we make it a priority to foster a positive work environment by recognizing the efforts of our staff, and promoting a balanced work/family life.
For more information, to receive the full position prospectus, or to apply in confidence please contact: