For over 80 years, Jewish Family Service Agency (JFSA) has been providing opportunities to enhance the quality of life for individuals and families. We are a social service organization that offers a continuum of services for individuals and families at all ages and stages of life in the Jewish and wider community. Our 5 departments are Family and Adult Resources, Seniors Support Services, Counselling and Wellness, Employment Services and Settlement Services.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and working collaboratively with the senior management team, the Director of Development and Communications is responsible for implementing the annual Fundraising and Communications plan and building relationships with current and prospective donors. Responsibilities also include supervising and managing four staff persons – the Development Officer, Development Manager, Development Database Administrator and the Marketing and Communications Manager.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Securing, strengthening and growing broad financial support in all areas of giving.
- Event and project management for two direct mail campaigns, a major annual fundraising luncheon and stewardship events.
- Working as the lead contact for volunteer committees.
- Manager of the Major Gifts program. Activities include management of a major donor pipeline, working with program staff on compiling reports, writing and sending donor correspondence, meeting with the CEO to develop strategies for donor meetings and following up with major donors.
- Reviewing grant applications compiled by the Development Manager and support with planning strategies for grant applications; writing and submitting grant applications and preparing presentations where applicable.
- Overseeing on-going office activities including the management of the database and all records, files, and gift processing.
- Overseeing the pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs; review of letters generated by Database Administrator and Development Officer.
- Overseeing communications related to fundraising including newsletter articles; Annual Report; Direct Mail communications.
- Attending monthly Board meetings and creation of Development Reports.
- Liaison between Department Directors (Finance, Program Directors) to address department needs and to identify opportunities/projects for funding.
- Attending and supporting community events as a representative and ambassador of JFSA.
- Budget planning for Development Department.
- Minimum of 5 years Development experience is required; fundraising in the Jewish Community preferred.
- Experience in solicitation, special event planning, grant writing, and volunteer management.
- Experience in management and mentorship of fundraising staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills tailored to both internal and external audiences.
- Ability to work as a leader and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and collaborative working style.
- Proven effective ability to work with a variety of stakeholders.
- Well-developed presentation skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Knowledge of the Jewish community is an asset.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.