BC Children’s Hospital is one of the most recognized and highly regarded institutions in the province and has been rated the top brand in BC through research conducted by Insights West.
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) serves to support the tremendous efforts of the Hospital – its amazing medical care and outstanding research.
Our vision is ambitious: Every child is healthy and able to fulfill their hopes and dreams. Our mission: Be a catalyst for transformative child health through excellence in philanthropy, collaboration and advocacy. The Foundation is looking for people who share our passion to better the lives of children and their families and join us in our quest and successfully advance our vision and mission.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Director, Research & Prospect Management, the Research Analyst is responsible for generating strategic donor intelligence to facilitate informed decision-making and help guide the development of optimal philanthropic relationships. The focus of the position is on the creation and maintenance of a dynamic body of knowledge regarding the Foundation’s key stakeholders and target markets, and identifying strategic opportunities for support through data-mining, environmental scanning, and media analysis.
More specifically, you will:
- Undertake ongoing prospect development analysis as part of RPM’s overall mandate to build a prospect base sufficient in size and yield to support long-term Foundation goals. Lead projects to identify potential significant individual and corporate donors and senior volunteers;
- Analyze biographical, financial, corporate, and statistical information from a wide array of internet and media sources and specialized databases. Interpret, evaluate, and synthesize data into concise and actionable reports on a request basis as well as proactively to support planning and decision making by Philanthropy staff;
- Perform in-depth target market environmental scanning and trend research, focusing on priority industries, communities, and geographic regions;
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of BCCHF strategic plans for specific industry or demographic markets, as well as awareness of key vulnerabilities and opportunities. Provide engagement recommendations and summarize findings into detailed written reports;
- Analyze industry, business, and financial news targeted to BCCHF donor engagement priorities. Communicate critical news to key clients through media alerts or customized newsletters;
- Participate in data-mining projects in collaboration with the Prospect Management Analyst;
- Provide leadership in data integrity & knowledge management on key stakeholder data storage; work with Foundation colleagues to ensure consistency and currency of prospect tracking data;
- Provide research support for key Foundation initiatives and projects including campaign prospecting, targeted event attendee research, Board and Committee nominee biographies, etc;
- Undertake specialized research projects as required (philanthropic trends, genealogy, sponsorship, volunteer peer screening projects, et al);
- Maintain currency with industry best practices and provide recommendations on new products, resources, and techniques. Perform ongoing evaluation of the department’s inventory of subscription-based information services and make recommendations as needed;
- Supervise and train research assistants and short-term contract staff;
- Maintain a robust network of professional peers across the industry to ensure information sharing and knowledge of evolving practices.
As the ideal candidate, you will bring to the role a university degree in Business, Social Sciences or Humanities. A Master’s degree in Information Studies is considered a strong asset, as is reading knowledge of languages other than English. In addition, you will have a minimum of 3 years of directly related experience. In addition, you will possess:
- Curiosity, persistence and imagination in the development of new ways to secure, analyze, and interpret information critical to supporting strategic decision-making and grow the Foundation’s donor pipeline;
- Proficiency with core prospect research methodologies, including capacity analysis, data mining, relationship mapping, and advanced web searching;
- Ability to absorb, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize large quantities of data from a multitude of sources; comfort level with complex financial documents and filings;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills; ability to create highly informative, concise, actionable, and accurate reports and profiles;
- Ability to partner effectively with a broad range of professional staff at all levels throughout the Foundation; effectiveness in carrying out supervision and training responsibilities;
- Ability to organize and manage a diverse and often shifting range of assignments and projects with high efficiency, yet maintain thorough attention to detail and follow-through;
- Must demonstrate sensitivity and professionalism in handling confidential information; familiarity with privacy legislation and ethical guidelines in fundraising is an advantage;
- Understanding of the charitable sector and knowledge of key fundraising methodologies and principles;
- Knowledge of British Columbia’s key business sectors, economic drivers and cultural communities;
- Familiarity with a broad spectrum of online information resources;
- Experience working with large datasets, performing segmentation and prioritization based on key variables; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM systems;
- Understanding of relational database design and function, and knowledge of data analytics and visualization in a prospect development setting.
HOW TO APPLY
BCCHF’s employees have helped to create a work environment in which there is laughter, passion and pride. It is a place where people are respected, appreciated and recognized for their individual and team efforts. We see our employees as our most valuable resource, and we work hard to ensure that employees continue to work in a collaborative and positive environment. As a result, we are proud to state that we have been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for nine years in a row!
In addition to a nine-day fortnight and a commitment to professional development, we offer a dynamic team environment and a comprehensive compensation package including benefits.
Does this sound exciting? Come join our team and help make miracles happen!
Apply online at www.bcchf.ca/careers by March 23, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please mention that you saw this career opportunity on Phil’s Careers Blog!