Founded in 1964, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) has earned an outstanding reputation of quality in education, performance and music therapy. As a music school for the whole community, the VCM welcomes students of all ages and musical abilities, and teaches in all musical genres including classical, contemporary and music technology. Each year, over 4,500 students take part in an extensive array of disciplines including woodwinds, brass, percussion, keyboard, strings, voice, jazz, theory and composition, and programs such as music therapy, teacher training, early children’s music programs and Summer Music Academies. In addition, the VCM offers a two-year performance-oriented post-secondary diploma program in partnership with Camosun College, credits from which are transferable to every major University in Canada.
The VCM successfully negotiated its way through a period of financial transformation from 2009-2012. A solid infrastructure has been built, and a committed Board of Governors and a strong, competent management team support the work of the organization in its quest to maintain financial and artistic sustainability. As a result of this planned and strategic growth, the VCM launched a $2 Million 50th Anniversary Campaign to fund five new initiatives that will help achieve its vision for an extraordinary and sustainable future.
The VCM operates on an annual budget of $5 million. It nurtures excellent long-term relationships with its supporters, and currently raises more than $1.5 million annually from individuals, foundations, government agencies, sponsors and special events.
The Development Department at the VCM has a mandate to acquire and advance meaningful long term relationships with a wide range of external and internal stakeholders and generate financial support through private, public and government funding, supporting the immediate, mid-term and long-term strategic goals and mission of the VCM. The Development Department develops and implements a multi-faceted sustainable revenue focused fund raising program that includes annual giving, major gift philanthropy, corporate sponsorships, legacy giving, government/foundation/organization/agency grants, constituent communications, prospective donor research and donor recognition and stewardship.
The Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is seeking a permanent, full-time experienced Manager, Development. This individual is a hands-on, high energy self-starter, supporting and advancing an expanding integrated fundraising program. You have a natural ability for building and leveraging relationships, communicating, and creating a seamless journey for VCM donors and stakeholders by engaging them more deeply in support of its mission for the purposes of raising funds for priority needs.
Reporting to the Director of Development, and working in close collaboration with the VCM team, the Manager, Development responsibilities will include expanding the VCM’s annual giving and legacy giving programs, growing annual support, and feeding the Conservatory’s donor base and pipeline of major and legacy giving prospective donors.
The Ideal Candidate
Systematic, strategic, and a self-motivated go-getter the Manager, Development will be adept at engaging donors and constituents through social media, direct response, face to face, peer to peer, and event-based fundraising. As an active key member of the VCM’s committed and innovative Development team, the successful candidate will have the flexibility and open-mindedness to adapt in an evolving organization. The Manager, Development will be receptive to constructive feedback, and equally willing to share ideas and input in a dynamic and analytical working environment.
The successful candidate will have exceptional communications skills, and will be accomplished at adapting messages and communications to different audience groups. Comfortable with interactive technological communication tools, the Manager, Development will bring creativity to bear on ideas for engaging constituents.
The Manager, Development will apply exceptional relationship-building skills and high connectivity to both the external community and volunteers, and internally in working with staff, faculty, colleagues, and students. The ideal candidate will be adept at connecting, engaging and networking with diverse groups and people. The new incumbent will be comfortable pursuing leads and engaging prospective donors.
The successful candidate’s exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills will allow them to excel in executing the mechanics of strategy, design, and response to appeal programs. With a strong background in service excellence, the Manager, Development will be as strong at responding to questions and donors, as they will be at initiating contact. Ambitious and goal-driven, the ideal candidate will thrive at setting and exceeding personal and work plan objectives.
As an active contributor to Conservatory life, the successful candidate will be wholly committed to the VCM’s mission and have an unquestioned devotion to advancing philanthropy.
The Manager, Development is accountable for the following areas:
- Annual Giving: Development, implement and evaluate an Annual and Intermediate Giving level donor direct response fundraising strategy, focused on building relationships with individuals, corporations, foundations and service clubs; use identification, cultivation and qualification practices to draw donors from direct mail and annual giving to build a robust Intermediate Giving and Major Gifts pipeline; personally manage a portfolio of key prospective donors and existing donors, including identifying and qualifying leads and organizing cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings; develop plans for donor engagement, with a clear focus on building personal relationships through face-to-face meetings, tours and other personalized interactions.
- Events: Support and participate in the successful execution of fundraising and donor engagement/stewardship events.
- Legacy Giving: Work with VCM Marketing Department to establish relationships / partnerships with Senior Retirement Residencies; engage with Trust Officers, Executors, Estate Planners, Private Client Officers, Law Firms, Insurance Companies and Financial Wealth Managers; work in consultation with CEO and Director of Development to plan and execute annual Estate Planning Event; other Legacy Giving related tasks as requested.
- Donor Engagement and Stewardship: Develop strong and lasting relationships between donors and VCM, coordinating the timely fulfillment of donor acknowledgement, recognition, reporting and ongoing communications about the mission of the Conservatory.
- Website: Supported by Executive Assistant & Graphics and Manager, Marketing & Social Media responsible for developing enhanced Development web pages content (copy and images) and functionality, and for ensuring that Crescendo Circle names on annual Course Calendar and Concert Programs are updated accurately and in a timely manner. Acts as the primary contact for Development with respect to web site related issues.
- Social media: Supported by Executive Assistant & Graphics and Manager, Marketing & Social Media maintain content regarding Development for social media applications.
- Planning and Budget Management: Working closely with the Director of Development, contribute to setting annual fund development goals, objectives and management of tactical plans to achieve annual revenue targets, ensuring ongoing evaluation of activities and results for effectiveness and continuous quality improvement.
- Administration: Manage the establishment and maintenance of high quality donor and prospective donor information management through database, electronic and paper filing systems.
Skills & Core Competencies
- Five years proven fundraising experience in progressively responsible positions
- Professional experience and demonstrable success in annual giving
- Demonstrated knowledge of legacy giving
- A broad-based understanding and experience with fundraising vehicles
- History of successful relationship cultivation with volunteers, prospective donors and staff
- Superior writing skills, including appeals, donor correspondence, proposals and website content
- Excellent networking, presentation and interpersonal skills, including ability to encourage and motivate donors
- Superior organization skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Strong research acumen
- Progressive experience in donor relations, and ability to implement principles and practices of stewardship
- Technological competence including the use of social media in development activities
- Sound judgement and decision-making abilities
- Self-initiative and ability to prioritize
- Experience in marketing communications, including market segmentation and understanding audience needs
- Excellent strategic thinking and tactical planning skills
- Strong project skills, with proven ability to prioritize and manage timelines
- Ability to develop business plans and monitor revenue and expenses budgets
- Working knowledge of CRM database systems
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment with staff, board of governors, volunteers, donors and the public
- Clear understanding of and strict adherence to ethical fundraising standards
- Ability to work flexible hours (some evenings and weekends) and accommodate occasional unplanned requests
- Passion for the Victoria Conservatory of Music mission and goals
- Post-secondary degree or CFRE
- Valid BC Driver’s License and road worthy and insured vehicle for work daily is required
For More Information
Please note that the deadline for submitting a resume and covering letter to the email address is October 14, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Interested candidates are invited to apply to email@example.com
Please mention that you saw this career opportunity on Phil’s Careers Blog – Fundraising ONLY!