The Fund Development Director in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to funding which may include major gifts, private, individual and corporate donations, grant solicitation, planned giving and in-kind resources. The Fund Development Director will also focus on nurturing the relationship with stakeholders and the community. The Fund Development Director will represent the Christmas Bureau of Edmonton (along with the Chairman of the Board and Executive Director) as the public spokesperson.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Cultivation and Engagement of Stakeholders:
- Increase and develop donor base required to achieve organizational goals and initiatives.
- Retention and stewarding of current donors.
- Responsible for nurturing a positive and mutually beneficial long term relationship between stakeholders and the Christmas Bureau.
- Cultivating donors to multiple giving strategies.
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the Christmas Bureau’s fundraising priorities.
Establishment and Execution of Fund Development Plan:
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a 1 year and 3 year fund development plan which supports the strategic direction of the Christmas Bureau.
- Implement the fund development plan in accordance with ethical fundraising principles, Canada Revenue Agency regulations and all compliance standards.
- Monitor and evaluate all fund development activities to ensure that the goals are being achieved and make recommendations for improvement and advancement.
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt strategies as necessary.
Administration and Grant Management:
- Develop and implement policies and procedures which reflect ethical fundraising practices.
- Prepare and submit grant applications to generate funds for the Christmas Bureau.
- Ensure that all gifts are recorded, properly receipted and acknowledged.
- Ensure expedient and appropriate acknowledgement of donors and gifts.
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Co-ordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts.
Organize Fundraising Activities:
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fundraising development plan to generate funds for the Christmas Bureau.
Manage Fund Development Budget:
- Develop and gain approval (Executive Director, Communication and Fund Development Committees and the Board of Directors) for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development plan.
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to the fund development budget and activities.
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fundraising and recommend changes as necessary.
Staffing Fund Development Activities:
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview, and select well-qualified fund development support staff.
- Working with the Volunteer Coordinator ensure support volunteers for fund development projects using established volunteer management practices.
Promote the Organization:
In collaboration with the Communication’s Committee of the Christmas Bureau, will
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization.
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization.
- Co-ordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for promotional efforts of the Christmas Bureau.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the Christmas Bureau.
- A graduate from a Business Management Program, Public Relations Program, a University Degree Program, or College Diploma Program with transferable skills.
- A certificate in Fundraising Management is an asset.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset.
- Proven success in fundraising for a not-for-profit organization is a requirement.
- Proven success in stakeholder cultivation, engagement and retention is a requirement.
- Eligible for membership in Association of Fundraising Professional (AFP) and/or Canadian Gift Planners Association (CGPA)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills including presentation and public speaking.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to engage and motivate stakeholders, staff and volunteers.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong knowledge of fundraising management.
- Strong knowledge of federal and provincial legislation and compliance regulations affecting charities.
- A working knowledge of the Edmonton Media (radio, print and television) sources.
- Demonstrated ability in directing mail campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability in special events planning and management.
- Demonstrated ability in planned giving programs and long term stakeholder engagement.
- Knowledge of the management of volunteer resources.
- Works within the framework of the code of ethics for AFP/CGPA and “Imagine Canada Standards Program”.
- An applied knowledge of the non-profit, voluntary and social services sector.
- Proficiency in the use of computers for: fundraising soft ware, word processing, financial management, data base programs, e-mail and internet.
The Fund Development Director should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the Christmas Bureau.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the Christmas Bureau.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the Christmas Bureau’s parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Works co-operatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance the Christmas Bureau’s effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the Christmas Bureau.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the Christmas Bureau.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the Christmas Bureau forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
The Fund Development Director will be accountable to the Executive Director of the Christmas Bureau of Edmonton.
The Christmas Bureau provides a comprehensive benefit package.
To apply for this opportunity, please email covering letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ’Fund Development Director’ in the subject line of the email. Posting closes August 26, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those short listed for this opportunity will be called for interviews.
Please mention that you saw this career opportunity on Phil’s Careers Blog – Fundraising ONLY!