OpenMedia is an effective, dynamic team of fun humans leading the charge to protect the possibilities of the open Internet. We believe in the power of the Internet to make the world better. To do that, Internet access must be affordable and fast, personal privacy must be respected online, and free expression must be the default mode of the web.
We are a lean digital rights group that punches above our weight. Our community is changing the way the internet comes together to defend our digital freedoms— the freedoms that make the Internet the greatest tool for sharing knowledge and culture since humans first put charcoal to papyrus.
Collaboration and purpose are a big part of our work culture. At OpenMedia, your specific expertise gives you day-to-day autonomy and responsibility, but it won’t keep you locked in a silo.
OpenMedia is full of nice people who are determined to win: we never quite understood the word “capitulate”, and we experience near-allergic reactions to giant corporate or governmental bureaucracies threatening our digital rights.
We are looking for practical idealists who don’t want an ordinary job.
This is a new position. What that means is that we want to find a person who cares about the work we do and who is a great fit for our culture and team. This also means YOU will get to be part of creating what the role looks like. Below is how our vision for the position is taking shape based on our current needs.
Working with the Executive Director and the board, the Director of Fund Development will:
- Lead team development of a two year fund development strategy, with to achieve OpenMedia’s organizational goals.
- Manage and support small and mighty grassroots fundraising team (currently comprised of: Grassroots Fundraising Manager and Donor Relations Specialist), leverage grassroots support to expand major gift support
- Lead efforts to cultivate, maintain, and expand relationships with individuals, organizations, businesses and OpenMedia’s community partners.
- Manage relationships and the ongoing stewardship of donors. This includes renewing and scaling up existing gifts, creating and implementing personalized stewardship plans for donors, making asks, and producing proposals, report-backs, sponsorship packages, and other collateral as necessary.
- Keep track and analyze data to make data-informed decisions in fundraising strategies.
- Plan, coordinate, write and review grant proposals.
- Manage donor relationships in Salesforce CRM and other tools.
- Conduct prospect research where valuable.
- Be innovative and implement new strategies and tools for evaluating and improving our engagement of donors. Seize opportunities and also tend to long-term development goals.
We’re looking for someone with the following qualifications:
- Passion for the open Internet.
- A minimum of 5 years experience and a proven track record in fund development and/or acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising campaigns, trends, techniques and strategic communications practices, especially for non-profit and charitable organizations.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced campaigning organization as part of a team.
- A high degree of personal initiative along with strong planning and organizational skills.
- A great communicator/relationship builder.
- Experience with CRM and Google docs is desirable.
- Experience with coordinating events is an asset.
- Written and oral proficiency in French is a bonus.
OpenMedia is committed to fostering a collaborative working environment and to promote opportunities for continuous learning as well as to develop autonomy, mastery and purpose on your daily work activities. You will find a clearly defined career path with plenty of room to grow.
We recognize the importance of a diverse workforce and encourage applications from Aboriginal persons, women, LGBTQ-identified persons, members of a visible minority, and persons with a disability.
This is a permanent full time or 0.8 time position (3 month probation period) with the opportunity for a flexible working schedule. Salary range $55-65k based on experience.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until we find the right candidate.
- Please send your resume with your name as the title of the document to resume[@]openmedia.org with the position you are applying for as the subject of the email.
- Don’t include a cover letter; instead, simply include a few lines (no more than 200 words) about your passion for OpenMedia’s work in the body of the email. Don’t skip this – it’s a crucial opportunity to distinguish your application from a hundred others.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with OpenMedia. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Please mention that you saw this career opportunity on Phil’s Careers Blog – Fundraising ONLY!