Please download the full position prospectus here:
Philanthropy Officer, Leadership Annual Giving, BCCHF
To inspire support and funding for excellence in child health.
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) supports the people, places and things required to ensure BC’s kids have access to outstanding pediatric care. Since 1982, hundreds of thousands of young lives have been transformed by our donors’ generosity.
The Foundation works with individual, corporate and community donors to advance child health by funding research into childhood diseases, leadership recruitment, education, equipment purchases and capital projects. All funds raised by the Foundation go to support these activities at BC Children’s Hospital, Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children and the Child & Family Research Institute.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Senior Director, Philanthropy, this position develops plans and executes personalized activities to advance BCCHF’s leadership annual giving program. The Officer will be responsible for growing this program utilizing a broad range of activities, including direct response strategies, personal cultivation and solicitation, and essential partner involvement. The Officer will also provide professional support and guidance to the Children’s Circle of Care Committee ($10,000 – $24,999 – level of giving).
In addition to program growth, this position will also be responsible for building a bridge between the leadership annual giving and major gift programs by identifying donors, capable of commitments of $25,000 or more. This position works with colleagues across the Foundation and fosters a strong spirit of collaboration in advancing leadership annual giving, particularly in leading and managing strategies across program boundaries.
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Program Management – Develop, implement and oversee annual marketing, stewardship and solicitation plans to increase revenue across all leadership donor levels with particular focus on donor acquisition, retention, and upgrading. Plan, organize, participate and evaluate effectiveness of a variety of solicitation programs and strategies designed to increase interest in and support of various BCCHF initiatives. Oversee the management of systems in order to assure accurate donor database and information systems to support leadership annual giving program. Prepare reports and statistical analysis to support the growth of the program. Work in coordination with Foundation teams to appropriately recognize and steward leadership annual donors.
- Volunteer Management – Identify and recruit volunteers for the Children’s Circle of Care Committee. Provide professional support and guidance to the Committee Chair. Ensure that all committee volunteers have clear roles and responsibilities and are engaged with and informed about the hospital. Create a positive experience for volunteers and implement a volunteer stewardship program that appropriately thanks and recognizes the Committee for their efforts.
- Donor Development – Conduct cultivation, solicitation and stewardship visits with donors for whom face-to-face visits are the appropriate method. Manage a portfolio of leadership annual donors who require a higher level of attention. Achieve personal annual targets, including activation of donors, call counts and revenue results.
- Pipeline Development – Identify and assist in cultivating individuals who can be included in the major gift prospect pool. Ensure the smooth transition of the relationship to the major gifts team.
- Staff Supervision – Supervise, coach and mentor a Philanthropy Assistant.
- Philanthropy Advocate – Serve as an ambassador for the Foundation both within the hospital and larger community, consistently and convincingly demonstrating the role and importance of philanthropic support in advancing pediatric healthcare and research at BC Children’s Hospital.
As the ideal candidate, you are a skilled fundraiser and a gifted writer with exceptional communication and collaboration skills. You are a strategic thinker with strong decision-making and problem-solving skills. Comfortable working with a wide variety of volunteer committees and sensitive to the diversity of cultures in our community, you will be skilled at building and fostering relationships. You embody BCCHF’s Core Practices of: Commitment to the Cause, Strategic Focus, Collaborative Leadership, Personal Responsibility and Public Accountability.
In addition, you will have:
- Minimum five years of direct fundraising experience, with a proven track record of success.
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Experience in managing individual donor development programs.
- Knowledge of direct response marketing and experience with personal ask and stewardship best practices.
- Ability to think creatively in relation to individual giving strategy and opportunities to promote giving programs.
- Excellent problem solving skills, business acumen, strategic aptitude and sound judgment.
- Exceptional communication (oral and written), presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Experience with using databases to increase income from individual giving — experience with Raisers’ Edge is an asset.
- CFRE designation is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
BCCHF’s employees have helped to create a work environment in which there is laughter, passion and pride. It is a place where people are respected, appreciated and recognized for their individual and team efforts. We see our employees as our most valuable resource, and we work hard to ensure that employees continue to work in a collaborative and positive environment. As a result, we are proud to state that we have been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for 6 years in a row!
In addition to a dynamic team environment, we offer a nine-day fortnight, a commitment to professional development, and a comprehensive compensation package including benefits. If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply online at www.bcchf.ca/careers by 5:00 PM, May 7, 2015.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please mention that you saw this career opportunity on Phil’s Careers Blog – Fundraising ONLY!